What rules should be followed when performing this exercise. Its varieties are squats with dumbbells, a barbell, in Smith.
Squats are the most effective exercises that allow you to quickly and efficiently work out the main muscles of the legs. But the dilemma is that athletes don’t know how to squat, and how to do this or that type of exercise. Let’s look at what the execution technique should be to achieve a result and reduce the risk of damage.
Let’s start with how to squat correctly from the position of the arms, legs and body when doing the exercise. So, the execution technique is as follows:
- Bend your back. Keep in mind that squats with dumbbells, a barbell or even no load should be done with a little bent back. A small deflection helps to relieve part of the load from the spine and, as a result, reduces the risk of injury. Before doing squats for the buttocks or legs, take the appropriate position and after that approach the projectile.
- Correct execution technique implies reliable fixation of the heels in one place. Watch for this part of the body – it should be on the floor, and not “hang out”. If this does not succeed due to a number of anatomical features, then it is worth putting some small pancake or wooden blocks under the heel region . At the same time, make sure that the heels are clearly fixed in the lower position and do not move.
- Watch your knees. All squats (especially deep ones) must be done with the correct knees. So, the latter should not go beyond the foot. If you bring the kneecaps together, then squats with dumbbells or another load will overload the joint. It is also not recommended to strongly raise the knees to the sides.
- Try to look up. Many athletes during a squat with dumbbells in their hands look for some reason down. This leads to excessive rounding of the back and increased stress on the spine.
- Place the bar correctly. Squats with a barbell for girls and men carry a lot of stress on the neck and spinal column. If you do the exercise correctly, then the risks can be minimized. In particular, the neck should not be on the neck (as happens most often), but on the upper layer of the back muscles. That is, to put the bar, you must first reduce the shoulder blades. If the technique is correct, then the bar will press exclusively on the muscles of the trapezoid. This is exactly what the exercise needs to be done.
- Do not get up completely. It doesn’t matter if you do squats with dumbbells or just squat without load – in both cases, do not straighten your legs at the knees. The reason is not even increased injuries, but the fact that many muscle groups are turned off from work.
- Lowering limit should be limited. It is believed that squats with a dumbbell or barbell are best done only until the parallelism of the hips and the floor. But it is not so. In the absence of problems with the knee joints, deep squats are perfectly allowed. If there are certain health problems in this area, then it is better to beware and do squats not so deep.
The main ways to perform
Now you know how to squat, and what mistakes are best avoided when doing the exercise. It remains to deal with the main types of exercises. Here you can distinguish the following variations of squats – squats with dumbbells, squats with a narrow arrangement of legs, training on the Smith machine and so on.
Before doing an exercise with weight, it is advisable to practice with an empty bar. Here are a few important points to keep in mind:
- Train in front of the mirror to see your mistakes in each of the phases of movement, while eliminating them.
- Take a bodybar (you can use a simple stick) and run the whole cycle.
- Prepare the bar correctly. Hang pancakes with a small weight and correctly fix the technique.
- Master squats for the buttocks and legs, starting from the bottom position. Become near the mirror, spread your legs at a distance from your shoulders, turn your socks around. After that, imagine that there is a small chair on the floor to sit on.
After the technique is mastered, you can proceed directly to the exercise:
- Standard squats with dumbbells in hand or with a barbell. This exercise is a great option for working out the legs and developing the necessary strength. With proper execution, the back parts (hips, buttocks and biceps of the legs), as well as quadriceps, get a good load.
- Squats with narrow toes. The peculiarity of this exercise is the narrow setting of the feet to each other (other factors are unchanged). The peculiarity of this formulation is the effective effect on the front of the surface, namely on the outer part of the quadriceps head. Teach that it is not necessary to fully squat in this type of exercise.
- Squats “Sumo”. This option is more suitable for powerlifters. The main difference from the standard execution is the turn of the socks in different directions. The advantage is the ability to well load the muscles of the inside of the buttocks and thighs. This type of squats is in great demand among girls, because it allows you to work out your legs well.
- Barbell on the chest. This option is the most problematic from a technical point of view. Plus – high-quality study of the 4th head of the femoral muscle. By the features of squats, the exercise technique is very similar to the classic version. But there is a difference. Due to the special position of the bar (in front of the body), you cannot do without a slight forward bend.
- Smith Trainer. This method is good for beginners who are just starting to develop legs or for professionals who want to test their capabilities with maximum weights. The advantage of such a simulator is to minimize technical errors and a clear study of the muscles.
Knowing how to squat correctly, and eliminating the main mistakes during training, you can achieve many better results. Finally, here are a few more recommendations:
- always warm up well before class;
- first do 8-10 exercises with an empty bar and only after that use large weights;
- smoothly increase the load. Start with 30% of the maximum value, then go to 80%;
- breathe properly. At the time of lowering, draw air into the lungs and hold it. Exhale only when you rise;
- do three approaches for 10-12 exercises (if you are a beginner, then this is enough);
- with healthy knees, you can squat deeper;
- Keep your shoulder blades as close as possible to each other.