What muscles the back consists of, their tasks and the trajectory of movement. What exercises are best to choose to train your back.
Looking at the wide male back, women feel safe, and the stronger sex imbues respect for its owner. In this article we will look at how to pump up the back muscles correctly, what are the features, and what exercises are best suited to solve this problem.
A bit of anatomy
Few people know, but back muscles consist of two main groups – deep and superficial muscle fibers. For an athlete who dreams of a wide back, the second type is more important. Of the most important muscle groups, it is worth highlighting:
- The broadest muscles (they are often called “wings”). This group has a triangular shape and occupies most of the dorsal part. It is this muscle that creates the shape of the back. In fact, the broadest muscles should be a priority in the training process for people who want to get the maximum result from training.
The main task of this group is to pull the limb to the torso, that is, to do traction. As a result, the broadest muscles are worked out best when pulling up or when pulling from above.
- Extensors of the back belong to the category of a long muscle group, which extends from the pelvic region to the neck itself. The main task of the muscles is to extend the body (the inverse of this muscle is the press, which promotes flexion). Thanks to the extensors, we walk straight. Training of the muscle group is carried out by exercises that are associated with extension of the back under load.
- Trapezium is a muscle group that has a triangular shape and is located slightly above the widest muscle group. Its location is the upper back (neck area). The main tasks of this muscle are lowering and raising the shoulder blades, as well as their rapprochement towards the spinal column. For the study of this group, exercises where it is necessary to reduce the shoulder blades or lift them with weight are most suitable.
Now we turn directly to the question of how to swing your back correctly, and what exercises are most suitable for this. I would like to note a huge selection of exercises, each of which allows you to focus on a specific area of the back. Therefore, when creating a training program, try to make it as diverse as possible so that the back receives a multifaceted load.
So, of the most effective, the following exercises can be distinguished:
- Pulling up. Despite its simplicity, it is the pull-up that is the “king” in the formation of a beautiful back. This exercise is one of the main, therefore, it is not recommended to ignore it in the training process. The advantage is the connection of a large muscle group to the work and the absence of serious requirements for the projectile itself. All that is required is a crossbar.
Jump on the horizontal bar and imagine that the hands are just hooks that hold the body in limbo. The limbs should be relaxed and fully extended. This position is in the pull-ups of the original. Next, lift the torso to the crossbar, touching the metal with the occipital or chest part.
What is worth considering? The wider you grab the crossbar during the exercise, the greater the load will be the broadest muscles. If you put the brushes as close as possible, then a large load will fall on the biceps. There are nuances and the issue of touching the horizontal bar. In particular, if you touch the back of the head, you can achieve maximum muscle width, and if the chin – then the thickness. When turning the palms to themselves and using a narrow grip for training, the muscle in the waist area receives a large load.
- Traction on a vertical block. In fact, this exercise is the opposite of pulling up. The difference is that not the body goes to the crossbar, but the crossbar to the body. Feature – the ability to more clearly work out the latissimus dorsi. The technique is quite simple. It is necessary to sit in such a way that the bar of the simulator is slightly in front of the chest. Starting position – the shoulders are slightly raised, the arms are straight, the femoral part is tightly fixed under the roller.
The exercise always starts with the process of mixing the shoulder blades, and then the elbow joints are connected, which should fall parallel to the floor with a slight extension back and to the sides. When reaching shoulder level, stop and gradually return the bar to its original position.
- Rod traction with a slight tilt of the body. This type of exercise is very popular with both professionals and beginners. The main plus is a quality study of the thickness of the lower and middle parts of the wings. At the same time, this exercise does not participate in the extension.
The starting position is as follows. The lower back is slightly bent, the knees are bent, the body is parallel to the cover. Grab the bar somewhere shoulder-width apart, straighten your arms and feed the bar slightly forward. Now pull the projectile along a small arc until you touch the lower abdomen. At the top point, bring the scapulae together as much as possible. Please note that the wider the brushes will be located on the neck, the easier it is to complete the exercise. But in this case, the efficiency decreases due to a decrease in the overall amplitude.
The exercise with a bar having a T-shaped type is also performed. The only difference is that here the thrust will be narrow, which slightly shortens the amplitude of movement.
- Hand dumbbell pull. Take the shell in your left hand, taking a position on the left side of the bench. Place the knee of your right foot on the surface, lean slightly and use your right hand as the stop. Keep your back straight and slightly bent in the lumbar region throughout the exercise. Now gain air and pull the load towards you in a vertical plane. Be sure to hold the dumbbell in the upper position for 2-3 seconds. Then release air and gently lower the projectile.
Make sure that during the exercise the body is parallel to the floor. You can not make your back an arc – it is dangerous for the spine. If discomfort or pain is felt during execution, put both legs on the floor. At the same time, try to exclude the biceps muscle (biceps) from the work, maximally working out the back.
- Thrust to the belt in the horizontal block. The peculiarity of the exercise is the maximum load on the lower lobe of the broadest muscle group. The advantage is a quality study of the lower back. The best option is to use a special handle in which the brushes are parallel to each other. If you use a straight type of neck, then the upper part and the middle of the back will be more loaded.
Take a position with your face in the direction of the block, slightly bend your legs at the knee joints and rest your feet against the special support. Now lean forward and grab the handles. Take your back and straighten the pectoral muscles, hands should also be straightened. Now pull the handles toward the abdomen, moving the elbow joint along the body. The more your elbows turn away, the better. When reaching the abdomen, take a short pause and return to the starting position.
Above, we have listed only the most popular exercises for working out the back in width and thickness. If you wish, you can replenish the training program with a deadlift, a pullover in the upper block, a T-neck bar and so on. The main thing is to make your workout diverse and always try to feel your back.